“Pontoon” is a device or boat with sufficient buoyancy to float itself on water and also carry heavy loads. Sealed cylindrical structures like pies or barrels can be used to construct this. Pontoons can be used on rafts, docks, barges, or seaplanes.
A Pontoon boat relies on this phenomenon of pontoon which helps it to float. Common designs used for these boats are;
Catamaran: This design is made out of or contains two pontoons.
Trimaran: This design is made out of or contains 3 pontoons.
Pontoon boat was invented by Ambrose Weeres who was a mere farmer during the year 1952. This boat was made by just placing a wooden platform on two welded steel barrels. Later, he started to marketize this boat and soon enough this idea became popular and Mr. Ambrose Weeres was named as Mr. Pontoon and was also elected to the Minnesota Marina Hall of Fame.
Nowadays, pontoon boats are becoming more and more popular and many companies are designing different models with sleeker looks. Gone are the days when these pontoon boats reminded one of a boxy shaped structure.
– The platform kind of a structure given to the platoon makes it more stable compared to other conventional boats.
– Wide platform of a pontoon boat provides with a better accommodation capability compared to the typical runabout boats.
– Being a wide plain structure it helps in easy boarding into ships.
– Small Pontoon boats are used as vehicle ferries to cross lakes and rivers in places like Africa, Australia and New Zealand.
– Nowadays, these pontoons are used for partying and socializing.
– Pontoon boats act a floating deck for passengers and swimming enthusiasts who wish to jump off the boat in the middle of a river or lake to enjoy a swim.
– Being light and sleek it has become a popular mode of transport in many countries that have several water bodies.